My Rationality is Interfering with my Faith. What to do?

A Jain Muni once told me that not all stories in Jainism are true. Some are written just to entice new followers or keep the existing followers intact or to project an earlier person in a better light.

He outrightly told me that some of the stories regarding Acharya Kundakunda are actually stories. Not the real version of events.

This has made me question everything that has been written in Jainism and all religions over the world. Sometimes I almost come to the conclusion that all concepts about god and xyz things are just false and manmade.

Even though my heart wants to believe that there is god indeed yet my mind creates hurdles for me. Although it happens only sometimes but since faith is the most important ingredient and if I lack faith then it’s all but over. What to do?

1 Like

कुछ ऐसा ही प्रथमानुयोग की व्याख्यान विधि को समझाते हुए भी कहा जाता है, बहरहाल हमे यह समझना है कि आचार्यों का उद्देश्य धर्म मार्ग में लगाने का है, था और रहेगा इसी का उन्होंने पालन किया ।
● गजब की बात यह है कि भावुकता से तथ्य नही बदला करते ,यह बात समझनी होगी , कथा-साहित्य में यह बात एक हद तक चल जाती है, परन्तु जहाँ तत्त्व-प्रमाण-वस्तु व्यवस्था की बात आती है, वहाँ वास्तविकता ही चलती है, और इसी का आचार्यों ने पालन किया है ।

कुछ भी गलत या किसी व्यक्ति-विशेष द्वारा निर्मित नही है, सब कुछ अनादि की स्वयंचालित व्यवस्था है, जो केवलज्ञानी द्वारा प्रतिपादित की गई ।

तत्त्व-अभ्यास ही एक मात्र साधन है, हम खुद इन सारी बातों को नही देख सकते , परन्तु यदि इसे बताने वाले ईश्वर पर श्रद्धा हो , उनकी सत्ता तथा वीतरागता पर श्रद्धा हो, तो ये शंकाएं तथा दुविधाएं कभी भी मन मे उत्पन्न नही होंगी ।
तथा यह भी सोचना होगा कि क्या हम वस्तु के परिणमन के करता हो सकते हैं, ऐसे कुछ सिद्धांत सर्वज्ञदेव की महिमा को 100× बढ़ा देते हैं ।
विचार करना ।:pray:

2 Likes

How does muni know that story of kund kund acharya is not true and rest all are true?

1 Like

Yeah, good one…:sweat_smile:

Many people also believe that Acharya kund kund haven’t been to Videh Kshetra.
Check this video :
https://youtu.be/eqJth7Y38Qk?t=1211

Watch till the end as there is one more question related to the same.

Yes, it happens. We have read a story about a man who scares people of a bear, but when a bear comes in real, people don’t believe him.

But we should not think like that. We should believe that Acharya have been there.

There may be some fake stories, but not all of them.

1 Like

It is always known the stories of people in Jainism are there to inspire. Even if some stories are made up, it does not negate Jainism. Core or beating heart of Jainism is ‘Ratnatraya, Saat Tatva, Cheh Dravya, Karma sidhant, vastu vyavastha’ … you need to find serious defects and contradictions in above to conclude Jainism is not true… if above can be proven by logic, reason, experience then Jainism is credible and worth following… what are the alternative? … creator-god?? … this creator-god can be debunked quiet easily… it is only Jainism that pass the test of rationality…

2 Likes

@Sanyam_Shastri @Chinmay @shubham1993jain and anyone who could help me out here -

I actually have multiple points of doubts which are as follows in no particular order -

Q1. It’s said that we used to have advanced technology in the 4th Era like ancient flying machines, palaces made of jewels, humans being able to fly and what not. If all that was possible at that time then it can be easily assumed that writing instruments like pen and paper would also be available. So all the infinite knowledge in the dwadashaang could have been written down and transmitted. But we see that none of it happened. Acharyas had to write on manuscripts with thorns which used to puncture their fingers and blood used to ooze out. All this creates a doubt in my mind that if humans were indeed so advanced then why didn’t they write all of the knowledge back in 4th Era since kevali bhagwan also knew and foretold that knowledge will be lost and Jainism will see its downfall?

Q2. Jain stories talk of Samavsarana. But there is no historical depiction of Samavsarana or the mention of Samavsarana in early Jain scriptures like Kshatkhandagama or Kashaypahud. While other religions like Buddhism will definitely not talk about Samavsarana or appreciate it because that would mean demeaning their own philosophy. My point is that if something so huge and beautiful as the samavsarana did exist then why didn’t no king order its artificial construction and why is anything like that not mentioned in the common books or scriptures of that time. Is it a later addition in the Jain prathamanuyog in order to increase the faith in Jinadev?

Q3. Jain geography closely resembles Hindu geography or we can say vice versa. But what can be seen is that none of them hold true today. We live in a totally different world now which is completely opposite to what’s written in the Jain geography. There are no 2 moons and no 2 suns as of now. All planets and stars are round and not half cut lemon like in shape. The Earth is an obtuse sphere and definitely not flat. Since Arihant parmesti knows everything hence he also must have known that our universe will dynamically change so he must have told the accurate universal details of the 5th Era as well. I do understand that its possible that the geography might have changed a bit after the last kevali bhagwaan of 4th Era attained moksha. But it could not have changed so much so as to render itself inconsistent with Jain geography. Also I believe that the scriptures on Jain geography are written much later than shri Kashaypahud or shri kshatkhandagam. Why is it so?

Q4. Now I understand that Muni maharaj have satyanuvrat and never lie but then the question arises as to why some topics have differential treatment. Like some muniraaj in the past believed that Tirthankar prakarti bandh happens in the 5th Era. Others believed more conservatively that it cannot happen. There’s also this problem as to how many gathas are there in Samaysaar ji. I believe the original had around 439 or something (I maybe wrong) but by the time the manuscript reached to Acharya Amritchandra Ji maharaj, it was reduced only to 424 or 416 gathas. Why or how did this happen? Was it intentionally reduced? If some pages were lost then why didn’t Acharya Amritchandra Ji maharaj write it in his tika that some xyz pages were lost hence I’ve limited myself to only 424 or 416? Even now we notice that there are so many sects and sub sects within Jainism itself. People are developing differential interpretation over already differentially interpreted shastras and their tikas. Meaning of various sutras are being molded so that they may suit more towards your own xyz sect point of view. How is all this happening in the religion of truth and rationality?

Q5. Since the oldest scripture is thought to be the most correct therefore can we assume that all the stories and prathamanuyog granths are mostly created keeping some goals in mind and in order to reinforce faith and belief because they all those stories find no mention in early jain scriptural texts. Like Hindus have a whole Ramayana of 24000 verses on the life of Rama whereas we hardly have any scripture of the like on the life of Lord Parasnath or Lord Mahavira who are Tirthankars who attained moksha quite recently and after a lot of time after Lord Rama. The only Parasnath charitra or Mahavira charitra is written after numerous centuries have passed by.

Q6. Archaeologists estimate Krishna to be a living figure around 3102 BC as the circumstantial evidences provided in Hindu granths and other books of that time along with the alignment of stars and position of various planets as well as the geographical location of rivers and certain lands seem to be correctly set at that point of time. Now Hindus always describe Krishna as a normal human being who’s of average height. We believe vasudeva krishna to be a contemporary at the time of Lord Neminatha who according to our scriptures existed at least 84000 years before Lord Parasvnath which would make the actual time of Krishna around 84900 BC but still being the same height whereas the height according to that time as per Jain scriptures around 98-100 feet and average age being 1000 years. Krishna according to historical estimation lived only for 125 years and 7 months. Logically it seems to me that the life story of a person who lived only 3000 years ago is far easier to record than the life story of someone who lived 84900 years ago. Now I have all belief in Jain scriptures and I know for sure that historians or archaeologists can be wrong but it’s just that I have my doubt on things sometimes maybe due to the fruition of mithyatva.

Please kindly answer my queries if possible.

2 Likes

भाईसाहब /-
केवली के ज्ञान में अनंतानंत पदार्थ जानने में आतें हैं , उसका अनंतवाँ भाग वाणी में आ पता है , उससे असंख्यातवें भाग को गणधर ग्रहण कर पातें हैं , और उसका भी असंख्यातवाँ भाग लिपिबद्ध होता है ।

हम जितना जान पातें हैं , उतना शब्दों में सामर्थ्य नही ,कि वे प्रकट कर सकें ।
● यहां यह विचार करना कि बता तो केवली ने तो यह भी बता दिया था कि द्वारिका का विध्वंस होगा और कब , कैसे होगा ?, यह भी बता दिया था , परन्तु क्या किसी के सामर्थ्य थी कि उसे पलट सके ? नही…!

समवसरण के भी प्राचीन उल्लेख हैं , तथा दीवारों पर नक्काशीयों में भी इनके चित्र प्राप्त होते हैं । परन्तु आपकी बात सही है । इसका एक कारण यह भी हो सकता है कि उस समय मंदिर बनाने के प्रवृत्ति अच्छी थी , उस समय भव्य मंदिर बनाये जाते थे , अतः समवसरण बनाने का विकल्प ही न हुआ हो ।

हो ही नही सकता …!
● समवसरण की रचना अर्थात तीर्थंकर परमात्मा का ज्ञान कल्याणक , यह additional नही हो सकता ।

● यहाँ must वाला formulae मत लगाइये , तीर्थंकरो की वाणी सहज खिरती है । संभवतः उनकी वाणी में यह बात आई ही होगी ,कि आगामी काल मे काल दोष के कारण सिद्धांतों तथा मान्यताओं में अंधविश्वास तथा विपरीतता आएगी ।

● यह भी विचार करना होगा कि हर प्रश्न का उत्तर नही होता तथा हर प्रश्न ( क्यों ) से ही शुरू नही होता ।

Sorry…?

● प्रथमतः तो यह कहूँगा कि यह सत्य-महाव्रत का प्रश्न है ही नही…!
● सब बुद्धि (क्षयोपशम) तथा परम्परा से प्राप्त पर depend करता है कि अमुक मुनिराज ने अपने गुरु से कुछ सुना , अमुक मुनिराज ने कुछ । यदि हम इसे महाव्रतों से जोड़ेंगे तो उनका अवर्णवाद होगा । यहाँ ऐसा समझना कि दो अलग अलग विवाक्षाओं को समझने का अवसर है । प्रमाण तो केवली-गणधर ही हैं, तथापि मुनियों में विरोध नही ।

● जी बिल्कुल सही प्रश्न है…! , सोचने वाली बात है कि ग्रंथाधिराज समयसार की गाथाओं की संख्या का ही हमे ज्ञान नही है ।
~ इसके संदर्भ में आदरणीय डॉ साहब ऐसा कहते हैं , कि विषय के प्रवाह - शैली - संदर्भ - भाषा सौंदर्य आदि का भी विचार किया जाना चाहिए ।

• कुछ गाथाएं जिनका उल्लेख जयसेन आचार्य ने किया हो, अमृतचंद्र आचार्य को जो समयसार प्राप्त हुआ , शायद उसमे उनका अभाव हो अथवा जो तत्त्व मैने ऊपर गिनाए , उनके अनुसार उन्हें लगा ही न हो कि ये गाथाएं आचार्य कुन्दकुन्द ने लिखी हैं …?
    आचार्य कुन्दकुन्द और आचार्य अमृतचंद्र के बीच मे 1000 साल का अंतराल है , इस बीच बहुत बदलाव हो सकतें हैं ।

-मूल में 415 गाथाएं युक्त है ।

Reasons

1. कालदोष से मिथ्या मान्यताओं को स्थान
  2. समय का इतना बड़ा अंतराल है कि वास्तविकता क्या है…? यह जानना बहुत मुश्किल हो गया है ।

● oldest से नही , बल्कि ज्ञान की अधिकता से प्रमाणिकता है ।

● इसका एक कारण यह भी मैं मानता हूँ कि बहुत ग्रंथों को क्षति हुई थी मुगलकाल तथा वैदिक काल में ।

■ फिर भी यह प्रश्न कुछ अस्पष्ट सा है । आप कहना क्या चाहतें हैं…? , प्रथमानुयोग साहित्य आज भी हमारे पास अपार मात्रा में उपलब्ध है , तथा प्राचीन ग्रंथ भी उपलब्ध हैं ।

● किसी भी मायने में जैनाचार्यों को गलत नही ठहरा पाएंगे हम…!, इतिहास के संबंध में कोई भी जानकारी सही हो , इस बात की stamp ग्रंथो से ही लगती है , और ग्रंथ की प्रामाणिकता उसको लिखने वाले पर भी depend करती है ।
आप स्वयं विचार करें ।
:pray:

5 Likes

My point is that all of which that could be written down is still not available with us. Why is it so when everything in 4th Era was very prosperous and the peril of downfall of religion was well known?

My mistake. I meant mahavrat.

My point here being that the oldest scripture mostly offers the actual original knowledge that was recently gained at that point of time so it must be the better representation of Jain knowledge since afterwards the knowledge started dwindling, sectoral divisions happened, people developed individual understandings of religious scriptures etc.

I agree with this. I take it into account that we might have lost a lot of knowledge propounded in the scriptures due to Mughals and Hindus.

My point is -

1. Writing about a persons life is the most accurate and detailed when he has just attained moksha.
  2. If you write it later then you lose the knowledge of the detailed events of a persons life and have only a few instances to talk about.
  3. All Jain prathamanuyog granths have been written around 7-9th century AD which talk about the life of Adinath bhagwaan or Mahavira bhagwaan or Neminath bhagwaan or Munisuvratnath bhagwaan. Kshayopam had decreased a lot by the time of 7-9th century AD. The time gap is huge. So is it possible for acharya’s at that time to know all the details truly and correctly as they have written?

My point is that early jain scriptures talk more about Jain knowledge in relation to substances, materials, universe, metaphysics but not about geography, tirthankars etc. and less about how Jainism was formed etc. These stories of prathamanuyog appear much later in Jain texts.

Now I have ultimate belief in Jain metaphysics and its explanation of the universe.

But these some of the creative stories written such as Acharya Kundakunda going to videh and all that raises doubts in my mind if or whether Jainism is also a manmade religion as well.

Not that it makes me lose faith but more that my rationality begets me to question things.

1 Like

सब कुछ क्रमबद्ध है , बस यही क्रमबद्धपर्याय का सच्चा श्रद्धान है ।

विचार करें ।

लगता है , अब यहाँ स्पष्टीकरण की आवश्यकता नही ।

● सही कहा । , लेकिन ऐसा तब संभव है , जब किसी महापुरुष के साथ रहा जाए , मुनिराज तो रह सकते नही , तथा उनके लिए तो कथा सुनना ही एक मात्र साधन है , वे उस महापुरुष के जीवन को प्रारम्भ से तो देख नही सकते ।
● तथा लिखने की परंपरा भी काफी समय बाद प्रारम्भ हुई है , और यह सही ही फैसला है कि सिद्धांत ग्रंथों की रचना पहले ही हो जाये । क्योंकि घटते हुए क्षयोपशम के साथ इनकी सुरक्षा कर पाना कठिन था , अतः सिद्धांत ग्रंथ पहले लिख दिए गए ।
● रही बात प्रथमानुयोग के साहित्य की , तो इसकी रचना का प्रयोजन आप मोक्षमार्ग प्रकाशक से देख ही लेंगे । वहाँ से इस बात को जोड़ कर समझ सकतें हैं ।

~ जो बात राम जी ने सीता से कही , वह बात तो वो ही जानतें है ,तथा उन शब्दों को हूबहू तो उतार नही सकते , इसलिए रस-छंद-अलंकार आदि का प्रयोग करके उन्हें लिखा है ।
परन्तु तथ्य की ओर मैं भी जब देखता हूँ , तो शंका होती है , लेकिन तब भी इसका महत्व नही है , महत्व तो उस कथा से लक्षित होने वाले सिद्धांतों का है ।

तिलोय - पण्णत्ति आदि ग्रंथ इसके साक्षी हैं ।

लेकिन जिसके द्वारा यह प्रतिपादित है , वह सर्वज्ञ है , वह वीतरागी हैं , दोषों से रहित हैं ।

इस कथा में doubt करने जैसा कुछ नही , आप अंजन चोर की कथा से भी परिचित होंगे , उसके साथ भी ऐसी कथाएं हैं कि वह आकाशगामिनी विद्या से युक्त था , तो हमारे महामुनिराज के संदर्भ में ऐसी शंका क्यों …?
:arrow_down:
विदेह गमन

देवसेनकृत दर्शनसार ग्रंथ सभी को प्रामाणिक है। उसमें कहा है कि-

जइ पउमणंदिणाहो सीमंधरसामिदिव्वणाणेण।
ण विबोहइ तो समणा कहं सुमग्गं पयासंति।।४३।।

यदि श्री पद्मनंदिनाथ सीमंधर स्वामी द्वारा प्राप्त दिव्यज्ञान से बोध न देते तो श्रमण सच्चे मार्ग को कैसे जानते ? पंचास्तिकाय टीका के प्रारम्भ में श्री जयसेनाचार्य ने भी कहा है-

प्रसिद्धकथान्यायेन पूर्वविदेहं गत्वा वीतरागसर्वज्ञसीमंधरस्वामितीर्थंकरपरमदेवं दृष्ट्वा च तन्मुखकमलविनिर्गतदिव्यवर्ण… पुरप्यागतै: श्री कुन्दकुन्दाचार्यदेवै:।

श्री श्रुतसागर सूरि ने भी षट्प्राभृत की प्रत्येक अध्याय की समाप्ति में -

पूर्व विदेह पुण्डरीकिणीनगर वंदित सीमंधरापरनाम स्वयंप्रभजिनेन तच्छ्रुतसम्बोधित भारतवर्ष भव्यजनेन।

इत्यादि रूप से विदेहगमन की बात कही है।
:maple_leaf::maple_leaf::maple_leaf:
ऋद्धिप्राप्ति

श्री नेमिचन्द्र ज्योतिषाचार्य ने तीर्थंकर महावीर और उनकी आचार्य परम्परा नामक पुस्तक भाग ४ के अन्त में बहुत-सी प्रशस्तियाँ दी हैं। उनमें देखिए-

श्री पद्मनन्दीत्यनवद्यनामा, ह्याचार्यशब्दोत्तरकोण्डकुन्द:।

द्वितीयमासीदभिधानमुद्यच्चरित्र-सम्जातसुचारणद्र्धि:।
वंद्योविभुम्र्भुवि न वैâरिह कौण्डकुन्द:, कुन्दप्रभाप्रणयिकीर्ति-विभूषिताश:।
यश्चारुचारण-कराम्बुजचंचरीक-श्चक्रे श्रुतस्य भरते प्रयत: प्रतिष्ठाम्।
श्री कोण्डकुन्दादिमुनीश्वराख्यस्सत्संयमादुद्गतचारणद्र्धि:।
…चरित्रसजातसुचारणद्र्धि:।।४।।

तद्वंशाकाशदिनमणि-सीमंधरवचनामृतपान-संतुष्टचित्त-श्रीकुन्दकुन्दाचार्याणाम्।।५।।

इन पांचों प्रशस्तियों में श्री कुन्दकुन्द के चारणऋद्धि का कथन है तथा जैनेन्द्रसिद्धान्त कोश-२ में शिलालेख नं. ६२, ६४, ६६, ६७, २५४, २६१, पृ. २६३-२६६ कुन्दकुन्दाचार्य वायु द्वारा गमन कर सकते थे उपरोक्त सभी लेखों से यही घोषित होता है।

जैन शिलालेख संग्रह-(पृ. १९७-१९८)

रजोभिरस्पष्टतमत्वमन्तबह्यापि संव्यजयिर्तुयतीश: रज: पदं भूमितलं विहाय, चचार मन्ये चतुरंगुल स:।

यतीश्वर श्री कुन्दकुन्ददेव रज:स्थान को और भूमितल को छोड़कर चार अंगुल ऊँचे आकाश में चलते थे। उसके द्वारा मैं यों समझता हूँ कि वह अन्दर में और बाहर में रज से अत्यन्त अस्पष्टपने को व्यक्त करते थे।

हरी नं. २१ ग्राम हेग्गरे में एक मन्दिर के पाषाण पर लेख-

स्वस्ति श्री वर्धमानस्य शासने।
श्री कुन्दकुन्दनामाभूत् चतुरंगुलचारण।

श्री वर्धमान स्वामी के शासन में प्रसिद्ध श्रीकुन्दकुन्दाचार्य भूमि से चार अंगुल ऊपर चलते थे।

ष. प्रा.। मो. प्रशत्ति। पृ. ३९३ नामपंचकविराजितेन चतुरंगुलाकाशगमनर्द्धिना नाम पंचक विराजित (श्रीकुन्दकुन्दाचार्य) ने चतुरंगुल आकाशगमन ऋद्धि द्वारा विदेह क्षेत्र के पुण्डरीकिणी नगर में स्थित श्री सीमंधरप्रभु की वंदना की थी।

भद्रबाहु चरित्र में राजा चन्द्रगुप्त के सोलह स्वप्नों का फल कहते हुए आचार्य ने कहा है कि पंचमकाल में चारणऋद्धि आदि ऋद्धियां प्राप्त नहीं होती। अत: यहां शंका होना स्वाभाविक है किन्तु वह ऋद्धि निषेध कथन सामान्य समझना चाहिए। इसका अभिप्राय यही है कि ‘‘पंचमकाल में ऋद्धि प्राप्ति अत्यन्त दुर्लभ है तथा पंचमकाल के प्रारम्भ में दुर्लभ नहीं है, आगे अभाव है, ऐसा भी अर्थ समझा जा सकता है। यही बात पं. जिनराज फड़कुले ने मूलाचार की प्रस्तावना में लिखी है।

4 Likes

Thanks for taking the time out in replying. I agree with you.

1 Like