Query regarding 5th Gunasthan & Jatayu

In the story narrated by Shri Sunil bhaiya ji, he tells that Jatayu became 5th Gunasthanvarti Shravak.

Here is a question asked by one fellow, please clear his query:

1. He was in 5th gunstan in his previous birth, when he was the king of dandak Van.
    But he did “Viradna” and became Vulture in that bhav. I don’t know whether a human in 5th gunstan can do viradna of a jain muni. Can a human in 5th gunstan can do viradna of a jain muni?

2. He was in the 5th gunstan in the vulture birth itself.
    He was given the title of “sharavak” and “patra” by the Jain Muni in Vulture “paryaya” itself. I don’t know whether an animal can be in 5th gunstan. Can an animal can be in 5th gunstan?

4 Likes

Actually you forgot to add the first 2 lines, so the question is not clear.

I am posting the original question myself.

I have a confusion. From the description,
"क्या आपको पता है जटायु पंचम गुणस्थानवर्ती श्रावक था ? कभी वह दण्डक वन का राजा हुआ करता था | "
My mind understands 2 possibilies.

1. He was in 5th gunstan in his previous birth, when he was the king of dandak Van.

But he did “Viradna” and became Vulture in that bhav. I don’t know whether a human in 5th gunstan can do viradna of a jain muni. Can a human in 5th gunstan can do viradna of a jain muni?

1. He was in the 5th gunstan in the vulture birth itself.

He was given the title of “sharavak” and “patra” by the Jain Muni in Vulture “paryaya” itself. I don’t know whether an animal can be in 5th gunstan. Can an animal can be in 5th gunstan?

Please tell me which one is correct.

He was in 5th gunstan in his previous birth, when he was the king of dandak Van?

No, it is not mentioned in pdmpuran that he was in 5th gunisthan at that time, rather he was following other religion, he developed a faith in jainism when he saw a jain muni with a dead snake lying on his shoulder. Later, due to his queen he killed many jain monks. (Also, I had heard in a pravachan, that being a king, one cannot be in 5th gunisthan because of excessive possession ‘parigreh’)

Can a human in 5th gunstan can do viradna of a jain muni?
Yes, but this would drop there gunisthan level

Can an animal can be in 5th gunstan?
Yes, Gupti and Sugupti muni gave him 5 vows and given his responsibility to Sita ji. She used to take care of him and gave him only the pure edible food and filtered water. He did not eat at night.
Remember the lion, the soul of mahaveer swami, after he attained smyaktva, he stopped eating and drinking at all and laid down alone for a month until he was dead. It is because there was no one to give him pure edible food and filtered water. It is difficult for animals to manage anuvrat on their own, so either they stopped consuming food or they need someone to help them to manage their anuvrat.

9 Likes

Jai Jinendra
Thank you for answering. I got your point