Principles of Jain philosophy and Science

6. On Hypocrisy or Having Double Standards

Yes, I absolutely agree with this part. And anyone who takes pains in getting to the essence of KBP will inevitably come across this dilemma

Should I be sad? Because when I think of KBP, I find no reason to cry for something which has already gone, right? So then how can one have both?

Let me quote Kanji Swami first, who himself agrees with what you have said, and would then discuss this further. These are some excerpts from the interview of Kanji Swami which was taken in public by Dr. Bharill in Mumbai on 28th April, 1979 -

प्रश्न: आप समझाते भी जाते हैं और कहते भी जाते हैं कि हम कहाँ समझाते हैं?

उत्तर: कौन समझाता है? कहा न कि भाषा के कारण भाषा होती है, विकल्प के कारण विकल्प होता है और उस समय भाषा और विकल्प का ज्ञान भी अपने कारण होता है । इसमें हमारा कर्तापना कहाँ रहा?

प्रश्न: इसीलिए तो लोग कहते हैं कि आपकी करनी और कथनी में अन्तर हैं?

उत्तर: (अत्यंत गंभीर होकर) वस्तुस्वरूप ही ऐसा है, हम क्या करें? जैसे श्रद्धान, ज्ञान और वचन हैं, वैसा चारित्र भी होना चाहिए; वह अभी नहीं है; पर श्रद्धा में फेर नहीं है । करनी और कथनी का यह अन्तर तो है ही । पर यह अन्तर तो क्षायिक सम्यग्दृष्टि भरतादि चक्रवर्तियों के भी था । चतुर्थ गुणस्थानवर्ती सभी ज्ञानियों के होता है - इसमें हम क्या करें?

प्रश्न: यदि यह श्रद्धा और चारित्र का भेद मिट जावे तो बहुत अच्छा रहे ?

उत्तर: मिट जाये तो क्या कहना? हम भी तो निरंतर यही भावना भाते हैं, पर तीर्थंकर ऋषभदेव के भी ८३ लाखपूर्व तक चारित्रदोष रहा था । एक गुण दूसरे गुण में दोष उत्पन्न नहीं कर सकता । अन्यथा सम्यग्दर्शन नहीं हो सकता । चारित्र और वीर्य में दोष है, परन्तु सम्यग्दर्शन में दोष नहीं है ।

- क्रमबद्ध पर्याय¹, डॉ. हुकमचन्द भारिल्ल, pp. 114-115

All three questions point towards the problem of double standard. And he acknowledges that this is inevitable. It is quite possible to have a belief which is not exactly in sync with the conduct. We are not always conscious of our believes but they guide, more or less, all our thought process. However, one should not expect them to be always in sync in the lower stages of गुणस्थान.

In the case of a सम्यग्दृष्टि (a person whose beliefs regarding fundamental verities are correct), a line is drawn beyond which s/he would never go. Technically speaking, he would never have कषाय of the level of अनन्तानुबन्धी. This gives a kind of logical consistency to the entire doctrine. Because if KBP was all about just the belief part which has nothing to do with what I think / say / do, then it would surely lead to serious consequences.

¹ Translations are also available in - English, ગુજરાતી and मराठी.

6 Likes