Jain stories - Doubt about authenticity

Some of the Jain stories signifying the character and personality of Tirthankars, Acharyas, General spiritual souls are written well into the 5th Era. I have a doubt that some of these stories might have actually been made up instead of being the real story just so that it can inspire the readers to the right path. Are my doubts realistic?

4 Likes

I believe that so too. As it might be to influence and sometimes it’s on the writer also how they write. हम लौकिक में भी देखते है कि वीर रस के कवि या रौद्र रस को किस तरह से comapre करके या भाव लाने के लिए बड़ा करके बताया जाता है, जबकि वह परिकल्पना हो सकती है।

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply. This doubt didn’t exist earlier in my mind but when a notable Digambar Muni told me that some stories about KundaKunda Acharya were written for the purpose of spiritual motivation, thereafter I started questioning every story I ever read.

2 Likes

Yes. Same here. I used to believe everything whats written in form of stories if it is in any Jainism book or anything. Though we should not do this , we should use our logics and mind. Many things like what you mentioned above. And in Charnanuyog also.

2 Likes

For the best understanding of this question and many similar questions, do read प्रथमानुयोग के व्याख्यान का विधान from मोक्ष मार्ग प्रकाशक जी, chapter 8

9 Likes

Dhanyavaad Bhaiya! Humne padha aur humara doubt clear ho gaya hai.

3 Likes

But doubt in Jain shastra means lack of Samyag Darshan (निः शंकित अंग lacking).

But, if we see, many shastra have been eliminated from Jainism completely. They were written in name of muni / Bhattarakas. They were kept like other shastras from centuries and but now, with study and understanding, they have been neglected and eliminated.
Because, some views in those books did not relate with other shastras .

Ofcourse, these elimated shastra might also have mentioned that this content is as per Kevali has said.
So, does it not go against our निः शंकित अंग ?

Why so many shastra were burnt in medieval period? Was it our antaraya karm that we could not get those shastra and Aurangzeb just became nimmit ?
How can a person harm so many people till end of Pancham kaal by depriving them of essential books ?

Also निः शंकित अंग apply for which shastra/s ? Every writer says that it is as per kevali has said.

How can 21000 years be left in the hands of few shastra only inviting different interpretations by different sects ? Why is nature made such ?

According to wikipedia, " Parshvanatha was born 350 years before Mahavira".

It is said that Tirthankar takes birth when people forget dharma. So, by this logic, Lord Parsvanath teachings degenarated in only 350 years and Lord Mahavira teachings will remain for 21000 years.

Pancham kaal people are better than 4th kaal ??

1 Like