Jain stories - Doubt about authenticity

Some of the Jain stories signifying the character and personality of Tirthankars, Acharyas, General spiritual souls are written well into the 5th Era. I have a doubt that some of these stories might have actually been made up instead of being the real story just so that it can inspire the readers to the right path. Are my doubts realistic?

4 Likes

I believe that so too. As it might be to influence and sometimes it’s on the writer also how they write. हम लौकिक में भी देखते है कि वीर रस के कवि या रौद्र रस को किस तरह से comapre करके या भाव लाने के लिए बड़ा करके बताया जाता है, जबकि वह परिकल्पना हो सकती है।

5 Likes

Thank you for your reply. This doubt didn’t exist earlier in my mind but when a notable Digambar Muni told me that some stories about KundaKunda Acharya were written for the purpose of spiritual motivation, thereafter I started questioning every story I ever read.

2 Likes

Yes. Same here. I used to believe everything whats written in form of stories if it is in any Jainism book or anything. Though we should not do this , we should use our logics and mind. Many things like what you mentioned above. And in Charnanuyog also.

3 Likes

For the best understanding of this question and many similar questions, do read प्रथमानुयोग के व्याख्यान का विधान from मोक्ष मार्ग प्रकाशक जी, chapter 8

12 Likes

Dhanyavaad Bhaiya! Humne padha aur humara doubt clear ho gaya hai.

6 Likes

This is not true. This exists in only Hinduism where their supreme god takes an avatar when people forget Dharma.

In Jainism, Dharma always exists between 1-24 Tirthankars. It’s only in Hundaavasarpini that there was some Adharma between the timeline of 2 Tirthankars.

For all I know, only the 1st Tirthankar comes to revive Dharma. Rest all the Tirthankars focus on keeping the Dharma intact. However, each of the Tirthankars do give some specific updesh during their shasankaal but nothing else.

I believe that the doubt you’re referring to is the doubt of principles propounded in the Shastras. Doubt in stories doesn’t affect Samyakdarshan.

4 Likes

Not only realistic but your doubts are worrisome too.

1 Like

Does Eravat Kshetra also has 363 मिथ्या मत since Marichi was not born there ? Or someone always spreads 363 मिथ्या मत in every pancham kaal because मिथ्यात्व is always there.

मिथ्यात्व गृहीत और अगृहीत दोनों रूप होता है।