Do true Shravaks exist in 5th Era?

Since we say a lot that true munis don’t exist in 5th era because their conduct does not match with 4th era muni maharaj. My question arises as to whether true shravaks exist in the 5th era or not because the shravak conduct today is also not in tune with the shravak conduct prevalant in 4th era.

2 Likes

This answer is based on sixth chapter of Pt. Todarmal ji’s Mokshmarg Prakashak and Pt. Piyoush ji’s lectures that had a deep influence on my understanding of the text. If any discrepancies, you may consider them as mine and read the source.

1. I think a more moderate claim would be - true munis are hard to find among those whom we see in our spatio-temporal surroundings (I assume you had intended the same by the above statement). That they don’t exist would be against the आगम.

1. Coming to the question, the bandwith of shravaks (गुणस्थान 1-5) is so vast that there is no need for any alterations in the code of conduct for the shravak. That is to say, one might just follow the fundamental मूलगुण (even with अतिचार - transgressions) and yet would not be deprived of the status of a shravak.

Not only that, even by following a particular vow (like giving up meat of crow), one finds a mention in प्रथमानुयोग and is praised for being committed to the vow. Similarly, one may not undertake the ‘partial vows’ (अणुव्रत) and yet, at the same time, doesn’t get treated as a sinner. And hence one doesn’t feel the urgency to modify श्रावकाचार to current times because the flexibility is inherent.

2. The scenario is different when it comes to muni (monk). It is either in or out. So if one has undertaken monkhood, one has to follow all the rules (with some exceptions for transgressions) no matter what. There is no relaxation as such.

3. If it doesn’t seem viable, there is not much harm in returning back to the life of a householder (as compared to the sin one might commit while being in monkhood and maligning the position).

As Pt. Todarmal ji says, and I quote,

ऊँचा नाम रखाकर नीची प्रवृत्ति युक्त नहीं है ।

- मोक्षमार्ग प्रकाशक, छठवाँ अधिकार , पृ. 179

1. Moreover, even in the case of shravaks of 5th era, one would come across very few instances of having committed oneself to a vow and then getting into misconduct (शिथिलाचार). What we see today is that shravaks are not pushing themselves enough to undertake a vow. So it’s a problem of absence of conduct and not of misconduct and this absence of conduct of a higher order does not make them a pseudo-shravak. But that’s a different story. In the case of monks, the issue is that they assume a higher position, commit themselves to it, and then gradually begin to violate the rules of conduct without resigning from that position. This is problematic. Not all misconducts that we see in the lives of a monk began from the first day of their initiation. It was a slow and gradual process until it becomes banal and one is desensitised towards any wrongdoing.

2. Another point is that laypersons are not responsible for representing their religion, whereas, the monks are. It is but obvious for laypersons to get involved into sinful activities and no one expects them to display an attitude of a monk. However, a monk is representing the religion. If the monk commits a sin, it’s not just the individual, but the entire religion is condemned (same goes with merits). Because monkhood is a position. It is called जिनलिंग for a reason. Compromising with its rules would be a never-ending phenomena. Today, it’s something; tomorrow, a step further.

To conclude, since there is no one definition of an ideal shravak, and since most of them can fit in, we cannot use the misconduct or absence of conduct of the laypersons (श्रावक) as a justification for that in monks (श्रमण).

I hope I was able to answer your question.

10 Likes

I thankfully totally logically agree with @jinesh Ji and I wanna add something.
Having said that I am gonna write in hindi because it’s all about अध्यात्म।

देखिए! श्रावक और मुनियों के सम्बन्ध में एक बात और समझ लीजिए।

यह कहना तो उचित है कि आज सच्चे श्रावक नहीं हैं, तो सच्चे मुनि भी नहीं हैं; पर ऐसा नहीं कहा जा सकता कि श्रावक ही सच्चे नहीं हैं, तो मुनि भी जैसे हैं वैसे चलेंगे। (उदा. द्रव्यलिंग बिना मोक्ष नहीं, पर मात्र द्रव्य लिंग से भी मोक्ष नहीं।)

सीधे शब्दों में आत्मानुभवी, सच्चिन्तन-प्रिय और आत्मा को (शुद्ध भाव को) मुख्य करके शुभ भाव रूप प्रवर्तन करने वाले श्रावक भी अप्राप्त हैं, तो आत्मतत्त्व की बात को स्वछन्दता के भय से अचर्चित रखने वाले मुनियों के तो कहने ही क्या।

मैं आपकी श्रद्धा को आहत नहीं करना चाहता, पर विचार कीजिए कि यदि मात्र लौकिक जीवन शैली के आधार पर बने श्रावक ही, श्रावक हैं, तो क्या यही लौकिक जीवन शैली का आधार ही मुनि के मुनित्व को शोभा देगा।

गुणस्थान-परिपाटी को दार्शनिक स्तर से देखे बिना किसी भी श्रावक-मुनि का निर्णय नहीं हो सकता है। जैन-दर्शन की सुरक्षा का सबसे बड़ा दायित्व श्रावक और मुनियों का ही है। संवर तत्त्व को प्रकट करने में पारिणामिक भाव की योग्यता आत्मतत्त्व के आधार पर ही हो सकता है - इस दार्शनिक तथ्य को स्वीकारने और अपनाने वाले श्रावकों के अभाव की स्थिति आन पड़ी है।

रही बात मुनियों की तो उनके स्वरूप की मीमांसा करने में मैं असक्षम हूँ।

आप श्रावक-मुनियों के पद को किसी काल खण्ड से न बाटें… मोक्षमार्ग लौकिक विकास या ह्रास से संवर्धित या विवर्धित नहीं होता। (अतिचार-प्रायश्चित आज के नए दौर में नए हो सकते हैं, मोक्षमार्गी का वास्तविक स्वरूप नहीं।)

चमत्कार को नमस्कार करने का मार्ग नहीं है।

तर्क बहुत दिए जा सकते हैं, आप हमें और हम आपको चुप भी कर सकते हैं, पर जैन दर्शन की गुणस्थान-परिपाटी में आध्यात्मिक विकास को नज़रअंदाज़ करके हम जैन दर्शन को ख़तरे में डाल रहे हैं।

6 Likes

जैसे श्रावक वैसे मुनि…।
इस समस्या का समाधान या तो श्रावक सुधर जाये अथवा जैसे भी मुनि है उन्हें ही मान लो, क्योंकि ना मामा से…। प्रश्नकर्ता के अनुसार तो यही है,अन्य नहीं। जब इससे श्रावक के स्वरूप पर पूछते हैं, तब यह पंचम गुणस्थानवर्ती श्रावक और उसके अनुकूल व्यवहार की चाहत ही रखता है। सामान्य जैनाचार को पालता हुआ, जैनकुल में जन्मा इसकी परिधि से बाहर है। पर बात यहाँ नहीं बनती, क्योंकि वह भी श्रावक ही है, और नैतिकता के बल पर उसका आचरण ठीक ही है, और आगम में इसे स्थान भी है, लेकिन इस परिधि से भी बाहर अनैतिक मानव न तो श्रावक संज्ञा के योग्य है और न ही उसे मुनि धर्म में सहायक श्रावक के प्रति के कर्तव्य का अधिकार भी है। अतः यह श्रावक नहीं तो इनसे पूजने वाले मुनि भी नहीं। अतः श्रावक तो है ,पर मुनि नहीं, यही फलीतार्थ है।

दूसरा टोडरमलजी साहब ने स्पष्ट लिखा है- प्रतिज्ञा भंग करने का महापाप है, प्रतिज्ञा लेकर भंग करने वाले मुनि और श्रावक दोनों ही पापी है। परन्तु जिस श्रावक की यह बात कर रहे हैं वैसी तो किसी ने प्रतिज्ञा ली नहीं, हाँ! मुनि ने जरूर ली है। अतः जानना।

1 Like