बालबोध पाठमाला भाग-१ | Balbodh Pathmala Part-1 [Hindi & English]

जीव और अजीव

हीरालाल - मेरा कितना अच्छा नाम है ?
ज्ञानचंद - अहा ! बहुत अच्छा नाम है! अरे भाई ! हीरा कीमती अवश्य होता है, परन्तु है तो अजीव ही न? आखिर क्या तुम जीव (चेतन) से अजीव बनना पसन्द करते हो ?
हीरालाल - अरे भाई ! यह जीव-अजीव क्या है ?
ज्ञानचन्द - जीव ! जीव नहीं जानते ? तुम जीव ही तो हो । जो ज्ञाता-द्रष्टा है, वही जीव है। जो जानता है, जिसमें
ज्ञान है, वही जीव है।
हीरालाल - और अजीव ?
ज्ञानचन्द - जिसमें ज्ञान नहीं है, जो जान नहीं सकता, वही अजीव है। जैसे हम तुम जानते हैं, अतः जीव हैं। हीरा, सोना, चाँदी, टेबल, कुर्सी जानते नहीं हैं, अतः अजीव हैं।
हीरालाल - जीव-अजीव की और क्या पहिचान है ?
ज्ञानचन्द - जीव सुख व दु:ख का अनुभव करता है, अजीव में सुख-दु:ख नहीं होता। हम तुम सुख-दु:ख का अनुभव करते है, अतः जीव हैं। टेबल, कुर्सी सुख-दुःख का अनुभव नहीं करते, अत: अजीव हैं।
हीरालाल - आँखें देखती हैं, कान सुनते हैं, शरीर में सुख-दु:ख होता है, तो अपना शरीर तो जीव है न ?
ज्ञानचन्द - नहीं भाई ! आँख थोड़े ही देखती है, कान थोड़े ही सुनते हैं, देखने-सुनने वाला इनसे अलग कोई जीव (आत्मा) है। यदि आँख देखे और कान सुने तो मुर्दे (मरा शरीर) को भी देखना-सुनना चाहिए। इसीलिए तो कहा है कि शरीर अजीव है और आँख, कान आदि शरीर के ही हिस्से हैं, अतः वे भी अजीव हैं।
हीरालाल - अच्छा भाई ज्ञानचन्द, अब मैं समझ गया कि : मैं जीव हूँ। शरीर अजीव है।मुझ में ज्ञान है। शरीर में ज्ञान नहीं है। मैं जानता हूँ। शरीर कुछ जानता नहीं है।
ज्ञानचन्द - समझ गये तो बताओ, हाथी जीव है या अजीव ?
हीरालाल - जैसे हमारा शरीर अजीव है, वैसे ही हाथी आदि सब जीवों का शरीर भी अजीव है, पर उनकी आत्मा तो जीव ही है। यह समझ तो लिया, पर इसके जानने से लाभ क्या है? यह भी तो बताओ।
ज्ञानचन्द - इसको जाने बिना आत्मा की सच्ची पहिचान नहीं हो सकती और आत्मा की पहिचान बिना सच्चा सुख नहीं मिल सकता तथा हमें सुखी होना है, इसलिए इनका ज्ञान करना भी आवश्यक है। जीव-अजीव का ज्ञान कर हम स्वयं भगवान बन सकते हैं।

प्रश्न -
१. जीव किसे कहते हैं?
२. अजीव किसे कहते हैं ?
३. नीचे लिखी वस्तुओं में जीव-अजीव की पहचान करो :
हाथी, तुम, कुर्सी, मकान, रेल, कान, आँख, रोटी, हवाई जहाज, हवा, आग।
४. जीव-अजीव की पहिचान से क्या लाभ है?

Lesson 5: The Living and the Non-living

Hiralal: How sweet is my name?
Gyanchand: Yes, sweet it certainly is. Though a diamond is valuable, it is lifeless. Would you like to be transformed into a non-living ?

Hiralal: What do you mean by the living and the non-living?
Gyanchand: Don’t you know living beings? You are yourself a living being. One who knows and perceives is a living being. In other words one who possesses the power of perception (Gyan) is a living being.

Hiralal: And Non-living?
Gyanchand: That knows not and possesses no power of perception is non-living. Both you and I are living beings because we possess the power of knowledge. Diamond, gold, silver, table, chair, etc. are non-living, as they do not possess the power of knowledge.

Hiralal: What are the other signs of the living and non-living beings?
Gyanchand: The living being feels pleasure and pain, whereas the non-living does not. We are living beings since we feel pleasure and pain. The table and chair do not feel pain or pleasure and so they are non-living

Hiralal: Our eyes see, our ears hear and the body feels pains and pleasures. So is our body a living being?
Gyanchand: No. The eye never sees and the ear never hears. The seer and the hearer is our soul, quite separate from them. If the eye and the ear possess the power of seeing and hearing, a dead body should also see and hear. So the body is non-living and its organs, eyes and ears etc. are also non-living.

Hiralal: Now I have understood that I am a living being, that the body is a non-living; that I am possessed of the power of knowing, and that the body does not have this power; I know, the body does not know.
Gyanchand: If you have understood the difference please tell me whether an elephant is a living or a non-living?

Hiralal: Like our body, the bodies of the elephant and other living beings are non-living, but their souls are living. I have understood all this. But please let me know what benefit is derived from
this knowledge.
Gyanchand: Without knowing this we cannot have a correct understanding of our soul, and without such understanding, we cannot attain real happiness. Since all of us wish to be happy, we should have this knowledge. We can ourselves attain Godhood by understanding the reality about the living and the non-living.

Questions:-

1. Who is a living being?
  2. What do you mean by a non-living?
  3. Please point out the living and the non-living in the following list – an elephant, yourself, a chair, a house, a train, an ear, an eye, a bread, an airplane, air, and fire.
  4. What is the advantage of knowing the question of the living and non-living?

[Go to contents]

4 Likes